Sunday

Man Dies After Being Pulled Into MRI Machine at Mumbai Hospital; 2 Arrested


Get Daily Updates In Email



Man Dies After Being Pulled Into MRI Machine at Mumbai Hospital; 2 Arrested

As per latest reports, a 32-year-old male lost his life in a rare mishap after being sucked into a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine at a Mumbai based hospital whose ward boy allegedly permitted him to make entry into the room along with a metallic oxygen cylinder.


Any article with a metal comprising jewelry, clothing with metallic threads, zip fasteners, metallic buttons, underwire and even medicinal implants – are not permitted within the MRI room.


Image Source



The awful episode took place on January 27 evening when the 32 year old Rajesh Maru was addressing an elderly family member, who had arrived for a magnetic resonance imaging scanning at the BYL Nair Charitable Hospital.


The family members stated that the hospital ward boy had asked Mr. Rajesh to take the cylinder in the room.


Mr Maru’s relative Harish Solanki, whose mom was the patient said, “When we told him that metallic things aren’t allowed inside an MRI room, he said ‘sab chalta hai, hamara roz ka kaam hai’ (it’s fine, we do it every day). He also said that the machine was switched off. The doctor as well as the technician didn’t say anything,”


Image Source



“As soon as Rajesh entered with the cylinder, it turned out that the machine was on,” Mr. Solanki said.


The metal present in the cylinder triggered the MRI machine’s hideous magnetic flux, attracting both the person as well as the cylinder with huge force, bystanders stated.


Rajesh’s hand got trapped in the MRI machine together with the cylinder, sparking off a massive oxygen leakage.


Mr. Solanki and the hospital ward boys made attempts to pull Rajesh out of the MRI machine however his body got puffed-up and he was shedding blood profoundly. He was taken to the emergency room where he lost his life in just 10 minutes.


Image Source



“It’s because of their carelessness that Rajesh died,” Mr. Solanki stated, blaming the hospital team for carelessness and asking for a strict action against the mistaking medical doctor as well as ward boy.


Local BJP lawmaker MP Lodha has demanded compensation and stern action against those responsible for Mr. Maru’s death.


A police case has been registered against Dr. Siddhant Shah, ward boy Vitthal Chavan and ward attendant Sunita Surve for causing death by negligence. Dr. Siddhant Shah and ward boy Vitthal Chavan have been arrested. The hospital is conducting an inquiry and action will be taken, said Dean Dr. Ramesh Bharmal.


Published by Mamatha on 28 Jan 2018